We hope you’ve been loving your January training with Anytime Fitness so far and are on your way to achieving your goals. If you need any help in the gym, speak to the staff as they’re always ready to give you a hand with any of your fitness questions.
For Veganuary we have partnered with Bio-Synergy, who explain everything you need to know about starting a vegan diet in this short article, from recipes to best practice.
Plant-based diets are the fastest-growing lifestyle trend in Britain according to the Vegan Society, with at least 542,000 people following a vegan diet, compared with 150,000 a decade ago. Vegan diets are becoming increasingly popular given a greater awareness around animal welfare, the production of meat, and environmental concerns. This trend is also inspired by those wanting to eat less processed food and those looking for a weight-loss diet.
Meatless Mondays for Athletes
Whatever your reasons, as an athlete or regular gym-goer, there are many benefits to eating less meat without compromising your training and performance goals:
- A diet with a larger vegetable, pulse, grain and fruit component boosts your micronutrient intake, which is essential for health and wellbeing
- Plenty of leafy greens, berries and other colourful vegetables can help the body manage recovery and inflammation
- Regular, healthy bowel movements!
- Reduced intake of saturated fats associated with heart disease
- More sating meals due to the higher fibre content (fibre can only be derived from plant foods)
- More colourful and varied meals!
Protein for vegan athletes
So, where do vegans get their protein?
- Pulses, legumes, grains and seeds. Oats, quinoa, hemp and chia seeds provide 14-17g of protein per 100g
- Soy-based products such as tofu, tempeh and edamame beans
- Protein powders & BCAAs. Good quality protein powder can assist the body with refuelling and recovering at critical times. Taking branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) during training or throughout the day are great for sustained energy and maintaining muscle
- Snack on a high protein soy yoghurt with sunflower or pumpkin seeds and berries or a small handful of nuts
- Try high protein bean-based pasta in tomato sauce with roast vegetables
- Nuts and nut butter. Almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, pecans etc not only make a great snack but are also an easy way to get extra protein and good fats in your diet
Bio-Synergy’s Lean & Green® vegan protein powder combines the power of several rich protein sources into one smooth, great-tasting formula that is amazingly versatile and tastes great too! The unique, raw, plant-based protein has a complete amino acid profile, necessary for energy and wellbeing. Free from soya and hemp, delivering over 20g protein per serving. Lean & Green® is super versatile, and can be used in juices, smoothie, shakes or even added to your favourite recipes. Why not try this protein-packed recipe for breakfast?
Ingredients (all using the same scoop)
- 2 scoops Butterscotch Lean and Green
- 2 scoops Gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 scoop oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed 3 tbsp water)
- Approx 300ml unsweetened almond milk
- Make your flax egg. Mix the flaxseeds and water together and leave to one side to come together
- Put protein, flour, oats and baking powder into a mixing bowl
- Add your milk until you get a thick consistency
- Mix in your flax egg
- Cook in coconut oil on a medium temperature
- When you start to see the edges have cooked, flip and cook the other side
Discover Bio-Synergy’s vegan range
Revitalise replenishes vital micronutrients, with a complete collection of your RDA of vitamin C, K, B6 and B12, Revitalise helps you get more out of your water
Available in 2 flavours orange and blue raspberry each serving contains Agave nature’s lowest GI sugar to provide sustained energy and Fructose for fast energy
The insane blend of creatine monohydrate, arginine AAKG, beta alanine, caffeine, taurine, riboflavin, vitamin B6 and pantothenic acid is designed to help you train harder
Kick-start your muscle recovery during your workout and replenish glycogen stores to support endurance
Isotonic sports drink offering every athlete an effective solution to their hydration needs whilst also providing instant energy release
Contains 6.48g of high-quality Bio-Pure creatine monohydrate per serving to deliver explosive gains in muscle size, strength and power
Unique blend of creatine, AAKG, B vitamins and quality carbs, you can achieve awesome mind-muscle connection and unbelievable muscle strength and endurance
Performance creatine contains high quality Bio-Pure creatine, so if you demand great results in athletic performance, muscle development and strength
Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) contain a 2:1:1 ratio of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine. BCAAs can be consumed before, during and after your workout
Visit Bio-Synergy’s Vegan Page to find out more about these products
Don’t forget – all our members get 35% off all Bio-Synergy sports supplement products. For more information on how to redeem this offer, speak to your in-club team. If you’re interested in joining Anytime Fitness, CLICK HERE to find your local club today.