One thing we’re all chasing in our lives is a bit of balance. Whether that’s in our personal life, work life or the way we lead a healthy lifestyle.
Adopting a new healthy routine doesn’t have to be an ‘all or nothing’ decision, it should fit around your current lifestyle and allow you to still do the things you love while working towards your goals.
Here are our top tips for creating a balanced lifestyle:
- Look at all the aspects of health – being healthy is a combination of several things and when looking at creating a balanced lifestyle, it’s important to consider all of these. We believe that the foundation of good health is consistency across your training, nutrition and recovery and this should be reflected in your plans
- Don’t miss out on the things that make you happy – ensuring you have a balanced lifestyle means continuing to do the things you enjoy. Even if you’ve set yourself a resolution to eat healthier, that doesn’t mean completely cutting out more indulgent foods that put a smile on your face. Having the flexibility to accommodate these things in moderation means you’re much more likely to enjoy your life, rather than feeling you need to restrict yourself
- Get the rest that you need – when you make the decision to join a gym or make a lifestyle change, giving yourself the time to recover is crucial. Putting too much strain on your body or doing too much, too soon could easily result in an injury which can limit your progress. In addition, resting can be great for you mentally too, allowing you to feel ready to go again when your next workout comes around. That also means getting plenty of sleep, something we all enjoy!
- Be kind to yourself – the easiest thing to do when you make a lifestyle change is to be hard on yourself if you have a tough day or endure a setback. One treat meal or a missed workout isn’t going to hurt your goals and hey, it happens sometimes! If you have a tough day, take the time to regroup and see tomorrow as a clean slate and a chance to reset
- Find exercises you enjoy – adding to our second tip, enjoyment is everything and that means in the gym too. As part of your free fitness consultations at Anytime Fitness, our expert coaches will work with you to create a personalised programme that not only helps you achieve your goals but includes exercises that you enjoy too
Creating a balanced lifestyle isn’t something that will happen overnight but as we hope you can see from our advice, it’s all about making it work for you. Being kind to yourself and continuing to do the things you enjoy is the key to sustaining it in the long term and achieving what you want to do.