Veganism is one of the key trends in the nutrition industry for 2019, but why is it getting so much popularity? There are many reasons to try going vegan for a month, or maybe even longer. And if you can’t see cutting out all animal products as feasible for you, why not start by just cutting down to start with. The benefits are not just for your own health but the future of the planet too!
Here are just five reasons we think you should try going vegan:
- Animal wellbeing – They’re living, breathing, feeling beings and there is no denying we humans have a strong connection with our pets and animals. How can we eat them? If you struggle with justifying this maybe it’s time to try going vegan.
- Health – Cutting out meat and other plant based products like eggs, milk etc. will help reduce cholesterol, lower your blood pressure and potentially reduce your risk of getting diabetes and heart disease.
- Environment – Animal farming is one of the biggest contributors to methane and greenhouse gas emissions.By cutting out or reducing your impact you’ll be making a huge difference.
- Nutrition – Be mindful that you are potentially cutting out some major food groups so you will need to understand fully what vitamins and nutrients you could be lacking. The Veganuary website has loads of helpful information about this so you can make sure you are getting enough protein, vitamin B12 and calcium etc. in your diet.
- Save money – Organic meat products can be expensive if you buy the best quality. Shop at local farmer’s markets and your local greengrocers and you might be surprised at how cheaply you can .
We got our inspiration for this post from the Veganuary website. For recipes, ideas and to take the pledge, visit their Veganuary website for more information!
Did you get involved with Veganuary? Did you enjoy it? or find it difficult to stick to? We’d love to hear your views.